Scratch removal/ Paint correction
Your vehicle’s paintwork consists of 3 different layers. The first layer applied to the panel is the primer/zinc coat to protect the metal substrate from oxidation/rust. The second layer is the basecoat/color. The third layer is a UV protection / clear coat.
- When it comes to scratch removal/paint correction, some scratches are deeper than others. A majority of scratches/swirls can be removed with paint correction, however, if a scratch goes through the clear coat the only way that can be correctly fixed is for the panel to be repainted, or touch up paint applied to the scratch.
- Paint correction is the process of using a combination of compound/polish and pads on a machine polisher to level down past the scratches/swirls. There is a finite amount of factory clear coat on your vehicle, so we are cognizant to remove as little as possible, and always add protection like wax, sealant, and ceramic coatings.
- There are many different ways scratches/swirls appear in your clear coat. A majority of the time improper washing and drying methods lead to micro scratches in the clear coat; this is why we always recommend hand washing a vehicle with a pH-neutral soap and drying with a plush microfiber.
Below are links below to some of our favorite products and tools we use, while these won’t replace one of our details, we believe our customers should have the ability to purchase the right products to preserve the freshly detailed vehicle.
- MEGUIAR’S G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner, 64. Fluid Ounces
- AVA Prime (2 Pack) Premium Cyclone Microfiber Wash Mitts
- Kirkland Signature Ultra High Pile Premium Microfiber Towels, 36 Count (Pack of 1), Yellow – 713160
What is a Ceramic coating ?
Unlike a wax or Sealant, A ceramic coating is a liquid polymer that is applied to the exterior of a vehicle. The coating chemically bonds with the vehicle’s factory clearcoat, creating a harder layer of protection. This semi-permanent bond with your vehicle’s paint means that it does not wash away or break down as fast and does not require repeated application every few months.
- Along with the added gloss, a ceramic coating is extremely hydrophobic, this is a fancy way of saying it repels water. Because of the hydrophobic properties of a Ceramic Coating, water will bead on the surface and slide off more easily.
- This means that mud and road grime will have a more difficult time sticking to your vehicle’s paint. The wash process then becomes easier and takes less effort.
Decontaminating your vehicle’s paint is essential before applying so the ceramic coating can adhere properly. Paint correction is always recommended to remove any scratches/swirls in the clearcoat so they do not get trapped under the ceramic coating.
Our 1 stage paint correction and ceramic coating packages start at $500
A light polish and soft foam polishing pad are used to remove minor defects and swirls. We then apply a ceramic coating that provides resistance to chemicals, salt, and environmental damage as well as provides excellent UV protection. The high silica-quartz content creates a hard glassy layer on top of your vehicle’s paint and adds an incredible level of depth to the paint along with unbelievable water and dirt repellency along with a rugged durability measured in years!
This is ideal for a newer vehicle or a vehicle that has been well kept. Swirling & paint defects are minimal, but a light correction is needed to remove minor defects and restore gloss.
Our 2 stage paint correction and ceramic coating packages start at $1200
A heavy cut compound and aggressive polishing pad are used to remove a majority of deep paint defects. Followed up by a light polish and soft foam pad to remove the micro marring left by the cutting stage ensuring the paint is truly level. We then apply a ceramic coating that provides resistance to chemicals, salt, and environmental damage as well as provides excellent UV protection. The high silica-quartz content creates a hard glassy layer on top of your vehicle’s paint and adds an incredible level of depth to the paint along with unbelievable water and dirt repellency along with a rugged durability measured in years!
This is ideal for any vehicle that has been neglected or has been improperly washed over time. This is an intensive process to restore you vehicles paint finish to like new condition.
Over time there are some contaminates that embed themselves in your vehicle’s clearcoat that cannot be removed in the basic wash process. Paint contamination consists of any airborne chemical compounds, iron-containing particles (brake dust), rail dust, bird droppings, road tar, tree sap, bugs, adhesives, oil, paint overspray, etc. During this process, we use a chemical that breaks down any iron-containing particle and detailing clay to remove all other contamination from your vehicle’s clearcoat. This process is recommended once a year and before any wax or sealant is applied. Paint decontamination is an essential step before any sort of paint correction and before any ceramic coating is applied.